Dr. Derek Clevidence, the family medicine physician at the UnityPoint Health-Meriter Monona Clinic in Madison, stresses that with proper precautions children can safely return to the classroom.
Clevidence expresses his opinion students should return to their in-person education system in the classroom or not.
According to him, children should return to the classroom as it provides socialization, personal contacts, and immediate feedback.
He fears that delayed learning can become the cause of skill loss, opportunities, and miss-connections.
He recalls painful teenage suicides, drug addiction and cyberbullying to show the importance of in-person classrooms.
According to him though the risk factors can not be ignored students should take part in sports activities later as sunlight and air currents reduce the transmission risk.
But he stresses on maintaining consistent team rules.
- Hand sanitizer should be used.
- Shouting, cheering must be avoided as it increases the aerosolization risk of spreading the virus.
- Wearing a mask is mandatory.
To mention about his family life, Dr. Derek Clevidence adds that his daughter Emily is a junior in high school who runs her own shoe business.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Schools should maintain the following rules:
- Students must wash their hands using hand rub before eating.
- Meals can be eaten in classrooms or outside instead of gathering themselves in the cafeterias.
- Windows and doors of the classroom should be opened for the circulation of the fresh outdoor air inside the room.
- If possible moving class outside the room to an open and safe environment is appreciated.
- School hours can be reduced.
- Schools can provide supplemental materials through e-learning and technology-related platforms using necessary devices.
- Physical distancing must be a priority.
Hello, this is Mahmudur Rahman, a reporter by nature and a teacher by profession. I am happily hitched with sharing real-time news with my news website. I believe authentic news is the most important thing to share.